Monday 23 January 2017

Interview with guitarist Jett 'Damien' Dean

Speaking with guitar hero Jett 'Damien' Dean ahead of his show at the authentic Rayner Rock & Roll Club



How did you form then and all get together?
Our singer Bopper started things going, he's a true rock & roll warrior. We met on Facebook and then I had an audition in a pub while karaoke was going on, I just played along to some of the songs. But while this was going on some drunk was eating crisps out of his underwear and rubbing them all over himself, then a Marianne Faithfull lookalike came over and started drooling over my shoes. After that it wasn't long before I met Zak who was involved in a Heinz Ketchup conspiracy.

How would you describe your music? 
Bonkers rock & roll. We just really go for that raw primal sound. The crowds want something that will shake them up and we're relentless, we love anything cult or wild.




That's what appeals to me, the mixture of your music.
See I need rock & roll to have that mutant side to it, people like Screaming Lord Sutch did it with 'Jack The Ripper' or The Phantom's 'Love Me' nailed it. It's gotta be frantic, there's never been any other music's that's even come close to the guts of rockabilly or psychobilly. The greatest stars are a pure mixture of God and the Antichrist, it's an exciting combination.  

I also read that you're into the occult?
Yes, I was brought up near Salem and people are very superstitious around there. We used to hang out in graveyards and on plantations at night and I'd play guitar, crow's would gather around as we wailed. To this day I still put graveyard soil in my guitar case, just feels natural.


How long have you been playing guitar?
I started when I was twelve and took lessons for a bit. Learnt my minor chords, but then my guitar tutor disappeared and a week later the police reported him as missing, but I kept learning by ear from records. Bands like Johnny Kidd & The Pirates, Charlie Feathers, Bo Diddley, Hasil Adkins, Link Wray, The Damned.

Your influences are mixed with punk?
Absolutely it's all part of the same DNA, I see punk as an update on rockabilly. I love witchy girls and cult B movies like Plan 9 From Outer Space or Hammer Horror one's like Plague Of The Zombies. The audiences who come and see us deserve a show. On any given night I can be either a mixture of Mocata, Frankenstein or Dracula, I can tap into their energy. The band is a true gang and we want to thrill and mesmerize wherever we play.

What are your future plans?
On the day that Honey Don't fired me later that night I heard that Chuck Berry died....................You can work that sign out.