Friday 27 January 2017

The Runawayz - Interview with Joe Newbon


How did the band come together?
Joe met Curt through playing with previous bands on the rock & roll scene then we finally found a young bass player who was with us for a year, but now we have Sam French on bass who I've known for a long time. 

How would you describe your music?

We started out really authentic, clean sounding rock & roll but then we realized we sounded like nearly every other 'standard' r&r band out there and it wasn't something we wanted to aim for so we developed a more driving and energetic sound which has appealed to the rockabilly/biker and young indie crowd.

How long have you been playing guitar?

I personally have been playing guitar since I was 10 years old, I've had a few lessons that taught me the basics, but from there I have been self taught!




Who got you into Rock & Roll?
My dad and his side of the family are huge R&R and Rockabilly fans. I got into it through them. I grew up hearing them play the 50's records and I got hooked from a very early age.

How do you see today's Rock & Roll scene?

I have always loved this scene since I first joined when I was 13 years old, but during the last 6-12 months there seems to have been a massive influx of young people of our age onto the scene and its great for us all. We have all become one massive friendship group and we all go to Weekenders and other gigs together. There are more young rockabilly bands forming within the group of us kids and with this happening our scene can only get stronger and last for yet another generation!

What are the bands plans for 2017?

We plan to get our first album out of original material. We are currently in discussions with a record label so the sooner we can get sorted the better. We had some crazy times in Finland at our first European gig, also very early in the bands career we got to play the O2 in London so they are just a few of the many crazy and surreal experiences we've had so far.

What are you all time favorite Rock & Roll artists?

Artists like Eddie Cochran, Carl Perkins, Johnny Burnette, Gene Vincent, Charlie Feathers, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Stray Cats, Whirlwind, The Jets etc...